Patio decking is something home owners build with the intent of it like a gathering place, a centerpiece that connects the inside in our homes directly to our yards. A place to sit with all the morning coffee, read the paper and wave to our neighborhood friends. The deck is the main entertaining area for our backyard barbecues on those summer get togethers we so look forward to. That is why, a deck is perhaps a little more personal than other home addition assignments. There is no right or wrong in the type of product or brand. Still because it is so personal, you should gather as much information on precisely what is available and ensure you will be satisfied with the end result.
Composite decking has been generally referred to as Trex decking due to its early foothold on the market. Nowadays it is called by a multitude of names reflecting the countless different product brands on the market. Each company claims to have got something the others do not, that is something you will have to determine oneself. When you do your research, you will find today’s composite decking comes with a big number of benefits, so let’s get started.
1) LOW MAINTENANCE. Effectively constructed and installed, a composite deck will alleviate you of the misery of sanding and sealing. I am aware personally, as I dreaded the process of waking up on a beautiful early spring day and saying ” I have to refinish the deck”, especially the pickets on the railing. Yes, you know what After all.
2) Durability; composite decking is a very sturdy and climate resistant product. Winter rain and snow will not lead it to rot. Summer sunshine and heat will not cause it to remove and splinter. It is so much nicer to walk out inside your bare feet and not have to hear the theme from Teeth in your head, fearing the rogue splinter that awaits an individual.
3) Termite resistant; due to the fact it is weather resistant, pests have no place to begin their onslaught, they pack up the kids and also move on to your neighbors gathering place. Try to be supportive and not laugh when they tell you the nightmare the termites have induced on their beautiful deck. Karma will be kind to you in this.
4) The new generations of Ecoscape Decking come in many different colors. They also come in reversible grain enabling you to create a routine to your design by simply turning the boards over. As an example, the style of decking I used had a smooth materials on one side and a “wood” grain on the other. By simply converting certain boards over, I was able to create a look that has been diversified. This may not be something you would want to do, but it is good to have the option.
5) Finally and I know this is not everybody’s main concern, but it is a plus. A percentage of composite decking is made from recycled material. When I look out on my deck and that i see this beautiful surface, that I know I do not have to help sand and seal, that I will no longer hear the style from Jaws, that there will be no insects feasting on my gathering place, and that its make up consists of recycled supplies…. I love it all the more.
In your research you will find drawbacks that will composite decking, let’s face it, there is no perfect option. The initial cost will be more compared to some wood products. The construction specifications are more demanding than wood products, in regard to the particular span of your joists, further adding to the cost.